Saturday 15 September 2012

Paris...mon amour...

(Click on the image to see the whole image.)

I think I always knew that I loved Paris, long before that summer, twenty-five years ago, when I first set foot in this magical, majestic, simply magnificent city of love. And that summer, I fell, head over heals, gasping and dizzy, in love with Paris and made a promise to myself to live there one day...

Two years later I made Paris my home for four months, whilst trying to make friends with the French grammar (yes, and some lovely people too), devouring most of the city's nutella-drenched crêpes and realising slowly but surely that Paris and I, yes, we had definitely started a love affair...

I have longed to show my sons this beautiful capital, and this summer I got the chance. As they are still quite young, eight and six, I was not sure if they were old enough to appreciate the attractions of a big city like Paris, but I need not have worried. They were just as smitten as I, and many were the moments when they grabbed my arm, squeezed hard and with big eyes exclaimed a long "Mamma, woooowww!"

We stayed in my favourite area, Montmartre, and one of the 'wow' moments was when, on our arrival at the hotel, we flung open the windows to find the view seen above in the first photo. Greeted by none less than the Eiffel Tower itself, across the roof tops of Paris, we sat down on the bed and just stared in awe. Yes, that was the first of many "WOWs"...


A new acquaintance of mine this visit, was the Parc Buttes Chaumont (19th arr), with - among other things - a splendid view across Paris, a lake and this (albeit man-made) 20-meter high waterfall and grotto!

The ancient city of Saint-Lizier, near Saint-Girons in the Midi-Pyrénées region

After a couple of days of grinning from ear to ear with Paris infatuation, we boarded the train to Toulouse, heading for the vintage wedding whose stunning decorations were featured here a little while ago.


Villages with an alpine feel and classic French shutters greeted us... 
oh, and Monsieur Le Chat too...

The pretty village of Aurignac (Click on the image to see the whole image.)

However, our French holiday seems like a life-time ago now, and having just returned from a work trip to Sweden, I am ready to take on autumn. Well, if what is on offer is a mild, sunny, summer-resembling one, that is!

Thank you so much for all your kind comments here and in e-mails. 
May your Sunday be a stunning one!

Helena

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs of such a gorgeous city and country. Love the details told in your shots.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe? I've never been in Paris! Every time I try always happenes something I can't...
    But next spring...Paris you're mine! =)
    Beautiful reportage, my darling friend!
    Hugs
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris is an amazing city, I always like it to be there! Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

    Happy Sunday! Hugs, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helena your photographs are stunning. Paris, one of the great cities of the world, you have managed to capture her magic both in words and images. I especially like the photo of Montmartre, it looks as if the city stood still for a moment, just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm words and really charming photos. Thank you very much for this wonderful reportage about Paris. Have an nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Käraste Helena!

    Vilken mysig och lyckad Parisvistelse med sönerna. Förstår att de gick loss med 'wow:ena'. Tänk att få ha en sådan utsikt från hotellfönstret.... Så fint att få se landsbygden också. Tåg är outstanding egentligen om man vill se sig omkring. Paris är onekligen en speciell och mycket vacker stad. Har varit där alldeles för lite egentligen. Bara en gång.

    Aha. Biddestone. Känner igen :-)) Där har man ju varit med fru Swenglish her self. En sådan söt by.Du bor ju helt galet vackert till Helena. Omgiven av pittoreska och ubercharmiga byar. Minns den där vägen som helt plötsligt gick rakt ner i ån för att komma fram på andra sidan (undrar om det var i Biddestone....). Jeep rekommenderat där gissar jag :-))

    Har också omfamnat hösten nu. Det går liksom inte att stå emot längre. De sista dagarna har varit riktigt fina och soliga. Synd bara man drog på sig värsta förkylningen. Men, men.

    Ja du såg. Finaste silen jag fick av dig är det äpplen i nu. Du kommer att få se mera av den med diverse påhitt i :-)) Tack så hjärtans för den!

    Å. Solen lyser. Och här ligger jag i soffan med filt på och datorn i knät. Ska nog försöka ta mig ut en stund ändå. Vill ju.

    Kram, kram
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Paris !!...happy sunday ...love Ria...xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Säkert lika stor lycka för unga killar och åka till Paris, förstår att det blev många wow-moments. Roligt och se dina bilder.
    Kramar
    AnnaMaria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hej Helena!
    Underbart inlägg fullt av kärlek till förtjusande Paris!
    Städernas stad! Vi reste till Paris när sonen var 9 månader och fortfarande nöjd att sitta i vagn. Nu dröjer det nog lite.. kanske inte idealt med en 3-åring. Så kul att dina pojkar var gamla nog att uppskatta Paris!
    Tackar för härligt, härligt inlägg!
    Kram Anna i Skåne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kära Helena,

    Åh, som jag har längtat efter det här inlägget! Att få uppleva kärlekens stad genom dina och dina söners ögon. Och som du får mig att längta till Paris. För hur galet det än låter så har jag faktiskt besökt Frankrike ett par gånger men aldrig Paris. Helt vansinnigt!

    Men jag ser det som att jag sparar det bästa till sist och ditt inlägg och det fina vykortet som sitter uppsatt på köksväggen har övertygat oss om att våra kroppar och själar behöver en stor dos av den franska huvudstaden. Snart. Du har fått mig att drömma om Paris vännen. En skön dröm.

    Ta hand om dig och njut av kommande vecka.♥

    Kram Lotta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed, Paris is beautiful, for sure, I live there but i'm not from Paris... But i also like all our french cities and villages, especially in the south where i'm from... Lovely photos, really great...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Så vackra vackra bilder på en av världens vackraste städer! Du är fantastiskt duktig på att förmedla känslor både i ord och bild!
    Åsa P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have just been to Paris and too was really taken with it. I am sharing photos on my blog at the moment. Always love your blog. Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that your children were able to share the delights of Paris with you. So may new things for them discover in such an exciting city. The waterfall at Parc Buttes Chaumont which I have not seen before must have been one of those woooww moments. The view from your Hotel is a winner, the colours divine and how I love Monsieur Le Chat with his little french face.....no wait, hold on a minute, I don't like cats! Zut alors! you've done it again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hejsan Helena for the long time.
    I'm in Paris just now for my first time (actually we are living to home today, 10 glorious days in Paris). I love the architecture here, it is so beautiful and just watch the parisian people. I will definitely come back after now I know what is where.
    Have great autumn my darling.
    Henrietta

    ReplyDelete

Dearest reader, I am sorry you have to go through the extra trouble of word verification to leave a comment here. After having received around 250 spam comments for each post recently, I have unfortunately had to add this filter.

Thank you so much for your comments!